Monday 15 January 2018

Baby Blogging - The Family Announcements!

What do you think of Pinterest? Laura loves it. In fact, our family baby announcement ideas all started from Pinterest posts....but our results weren't quite like Pinterest had suggested they would be.
Even though we were passing the 3 month pregnant stage just before Christmas we had wanted to use the festive occasion to share our news with our families. Laura's parents were back from their travels and staying with us and we were seeing my parents for Christmas lunch. 

We officially had Laura's family Christmas (Smithmas!) on Christmas Eve. With Laura's 92 year old Nan being driven up from Windsor and her brother coming down from Manchester, we filled the day with presents, food and a carol service in the evening. 

After all the present opening, we announced we had one final present for everyone. For Laura's Nan a sign that said 'Only the best Nan's become Great Nan's', for Laura's brother a Tour De France onesie - as he loves cycling, and for Laura's parents their favourite sweets with a 'my name is' list on the front. We had filled the list with 'Nan, Nanny, Nanna, Grand-mere, Nonna and Giagia' (we used a few versions from countries they had recently traveled to). Laura's Dad's list had 'Granddad, Grandpa, Papa, Pop, Grand-pere, Nonno and Pappous'. Our thinking being that as we didn't know what they would want to be referred to as granparents, we would give them their choice of names. (Laura's mum chose Nan and Laura's dad is going with Grandad)


No-one got it immediately.

So we launched into announcing we were pregnant. Laura's Mum was so excited and full of questions, Laura's Dad looked completely shocked and was speechless, her Nan and brother were congratulatory. We thought it had been obvious - I felt that my belly was really obvious, I was constantly falling asleep, and we weren't drinking or eating Camembert or pate - Turns out it wasn't at all!

The rest of the day was enjoyable and included a refreshing dog walk. The only challenge arose at dinner, although I had helped prep a feast, I could barely eat anything! Turns out when you are first growing a baby there isn't much space for food. As I had been snacking throughout the day I had filled my stomach and as I sat staring at the delicious food I had to psych myself up to eat a few mouthfuls. I should have stopped there but greed got the better of me and I spent the entire evening finding ways to stretch out just to help digest the food. A lesson learnt!

Thankfully by Christmas morning, I had recovered. I was careful to have a small breakfast before we packed up and headed to my parents' in Stratford-Upon-Avon. 

We love having my parents closer. Our drive was half an hour instead of an hour and a half away, and on arrival we unpacked the car, changed into Christmas pj's and assumed our relaxing positions. 

Over the course of the day Laura put in her stint in the kitchen and our dinner was ready for my sister and her boyfriend's arrival at 3pm. Before eating though - presents!

Just as the day before, we let the main present opening take place before following up with our final gifts. 

This time we had a set of tennis balls that had a 'tennis buddy loading' sign and the 'my name is' labels. My Dad chose Pop as his dad is a Grandad!


For my mum we had a keyring made (as she collects them) saying the 'Only the best mums become Nannys' - although she initially thought it was from Bisbee!

Pic from Etsy
My sister got a t-shirt saying 'Best Auntie Ever' which she loved and her boyfriend got a bottle of prosecco that said 'hold my drink......'
Pic from Etsy
As my sister already knew, she helped my parents understand after my Dad announced 'I don't get it'.  Four minutes later, they were both still confused - Laura had to pull out the scans before they clicked! At that point my Mum promptly burst into tears and we were engulfed in hugs. 

We learnt that sometimes Pinterest over complicates the simple moments - our nice ideas for surprises weren't 'in your face' enough for either of our families to understand without a bit of help - perhaps because neither family had any idea that we were trying, but still, we were surprised at their surprise!

Dinner was delicious and started an evening that included numerous phone calls to family members who were all so excited for us. Oh and more tears as the news sunk in for my Mum.

Both families are completely over the moon, our baby will be the first grandchild on both sides. Tater Tot will sure be born into a whole lot of love! And it was a wonderful and memorable way to spend Christmas.



5 comments:

  1. Wow what awesome ideas though. Love it.

    So glad that everyone is happy for you & that you enjoyed your Christmas xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chloe - we thought so, maybe it would have worked better if our families had some kind of clue we were trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to read!!! Can't wait to follow this journey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment - we love hearing from you! ♥