Sunday 10 December 2017

Laura's Much Requested Green Bean Casserole Recipe

Every year, at every festive event we throw or attend from November onwards, we are asked to bring one of my signature recipes - the runaway favourite dish from Thanksmases past, Green Bean Casserole. I know it's past Thanksgiving, but Christmas is still to come, which is a perfect opportunity to add this recipe to your family dinner. It is easy, delicious, and a side that we start talking about/looking forward to in like September, so for Brum Blogmas today (the brief is winter warmers, of which this definitely is one!) I thought I'd write down the recipe as I do it. Also, so I don't ever forget it, I'd be so upset!

I've done the recipe to serve 8 people, full disclosure I usually do double this, but it's because I feed like 14 people and want leftovers.

Laura's Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
Serves: 8
Takes 4 hours on high or 6 on low

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 large onion, diced (about 1/4 cup onion needed)
1 cup sour cream
6 400 gram cans of green beans, drained
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I use extra sharp)
1/2 cup Ritz crackers or similar, crumbled

Method:
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter into a large pan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, cook for one minute.
2. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, sour cream. Add green beans and stir to coat. Mix in half of the cheese.

3. Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker, pack and flatten top. Crumble Ritz crackers on top to cover, you're looking for about 1 cm cover. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, to cover the crackers.



4. Put lid on slow cooker and let cook for 4 hours on high, or 6 hours on low (I usually set it up in the morning on low!)



Enjoy!

See, it's pretty easy, but will have your friends/family coming back for seconds!

We have Thanksmas on today, cooking for 14 people (and three dogs in attendance!) - wish us luck, and leftovers, and follow our day and preparation on our Instagram Story!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment - we love hearing from you! ♥